RESEARCH AND ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT, LIFE DRAMA PROJECT, PORT MORESBY, PNG.
Research and Administrative Assistant, Life Drama Project, Port Moresby, PNG. We are seeking a self-motivated, organised, pro-active person to work with a number of PNG and Australian stakeholders in the Life Drama project. Must speak English and Pigin, be responsible, and have excellent interpersonal and office skills.
Position Title: Research and Administrative Assistant
Closes: Monday 20th April 2009
Organisational Area: University of Papua New Guinea – Faculty of Creative Arts
Salary Range/Classification: PNK22,000
Status: One Year
Position Contact and Title: Dr Andrea Baldwin
PO Box 238
Lutwyche Q 4030
Open to: Papua New Guinea residents
The Life Drama project aims to develop the skills of individuals including teachers, healthcare workers, church leaders, youth leaders, and others, to use applied theatre and performance techniques to promote sexual health and well-being. The Life Drama project currently has two components: the establishment of a Pacific Centre for Applied Performance (PCAP) in Port Moresby, and a number of provincial field research sites. PCAP is intended to become self-sustaining, and to provide various services for practitioners of applied performance throughout PNG, the Pacific, and northern Australia.
The first year of the project requires a self-motivated individual working “on the ground” in Port Moresby, to help drive the work of establishing PCAP and enabling field research in the provincial sites.
Some of the key responsibilities of the role will be:
· conduct interviews with leading theatre practitioners in PNG to document their current practices and approaches to applied performance and theatre for development
· prepare interview transcripts in English for Life Drama researchers to analyse
· accompany Life Drama researchers on field visits to research sites in PNG
· liaise with and maintain good working relations with the key PNG stakeholders
· monitor and contribute to the development of pilot applied performance programs for sexual health education
· undertake administrative duties necessary for the effective conduct of Life Drama
YOUR EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
We are seeking a person who can organise their workload, act on their own initiative, and communicate effectively with team members and stakeholders face-to-face, by phone, by email, and in writing.
To be assessed via applicant’s resume:
Skills and Capabilities Required
You will be assessed on the basis of relevant capability and capacity for the following:
1. Advanced knowledge of appropriate communication and cultural protocols for supporting the research team in PNG.
2. The ability to conduct interviews with PNG artists and educators.
3. Fluency in both English and Pigin, verbal and written
4. Excellent administrative skills including email and computer skills
5. Excellent interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to work as an effective team member
Other Desirable Skills and Capabilities
1. Practical experience in theatre and performance in PNG
2. Current PNG driver’s licence
HOW TO APPLY
· A statement in no more than two (2) pages including examples outlining your suitability for the role referring to key points under “Skills and Capabilities Required”, which directly relate to “Your Key Responsibilities”.
· Your current resume – including the names and contact details of two professional referees.
Forward your application to Dr Andrea Baldwin, PO Box 238, Lutwyche Q 4030 Australia, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: 20th April 2009