(*Thanks again to Carlos for digging this up for us)
Project Goals / objectives
*Establishment of Nursery & Shed
An ideal site has been selected and we are in the process of building the shed. We also hope to extend the existing nursery.
The nursery currently houses approximately three thousand seedlings. In the future, we aim to raise 200,000 seedlings of various plant species annually for planting and selling.
*Establish small scale forest plantations
About 60% of the seedlings produced will be used to develop small-scale forest plantings within the community. The goal is to extend this to surrounding communities in the area. The remaining 40% of the seedlings will be either sold or distributed to interested tree farmers to generate income for the project.
*Development of coffee & other cash crops
Cash crops such as coffee, cardamom, chillies, and others, will be planted between the rows of trees (integrated). In some cases, due to lack of availability of land and / or the conditions of the land, such cash crops will also be planted without being integrated into forest plantings.
Community stakeholders may contribute funds annually to establish and sustain the project operations. In addition, some funds will be sought from donor agencies from both within Papua New Guinea and abroad. Income generated by the project will be used solely to promote its objectives.
*Job creation & equal opportunity employment
This project endeavors to create 15-20 jobs. This will benefit the local community where jobs and income are currently scarce. The project also endeavors to equally distribute all positions among male and female community members ensuring that local men AND WOMEN will be empowered with meaningful employment and the ability to sustain family and household needs.
The various programs at Mambis Agroforestry Nursery will be managed by both skilled and semi-skilled personnel under the board of directors.
We are currently teaching local villagers of all ages about the need for reforesting our region. We have a primary school very near our project and the school children have been learning about their local ecosystems and how planting trees benefits them and future generations in many ways. It is possible that some of these young people will be employed in the future with our project or similar environmental stewardship projects as a result of this learning.
Project implementation schedule:
2008 – Nursery development, seedling production (seedlings production will be continuous for the life of the project)
2009 – Forest plantation establishment (to be continued at least through 2012)
2010 – Agricultural plantation establishment (through 2012)
2011 -2012 – Continuation of the above activities
Expansion into other Districts
Once our local catchment is rehabilitated, we hope to expand our project into other areas where there is interest. Once others see what is possible, we anticipate there will be a great demand as the general trend has been toward deforestation and the consequences are so problematic. Planting trees, as we have stated already, will lead to greater prosperity for the people and the land.
Monitoring / reporting
We will furnish reports on a monthly or quarterly basis, highlighting progress to the board of directors and concerned donors.
The implementation schedule will be the yardstick by which we measure our progress as well as our success in restoring a sense of the sustainable, regenerative natural wealth that agroforestry can foster. We are certain that the future health and prosperity of our country depends on it, and that this will be recognized throughout the Highlands Region.
As stated earlier, the project will be beneficial to most members of the Yakuman Mambis Clan as well as other neighboring tribes within the vicinity.
Conserving and regenerating our natural resources, and consequently enriching our health and economy sustainably is the way forward which should be encouraged at all levels of the community.
Unlike the mineral deposits we have in the country, well-managed forest resources are renewable, so that current AND FUTURE generations can enjoy and benefit from them.
It is our position, that governments should consider both large and small sustainable projects, especially in societies like ours that depend so heavily on what the environment provides. It has been said that the forests are the lungs of the earth; our health depends on the health of the forests.