A Sad Experiment

By Emmanuel Narokobi

Was watching EMTV during the day once, (yes I was a bit bored so flicking through the stations on Hitron) and I stopped to watch an education program that’s shown during the day. They were attempting to burn some food to work out the type of gas that is released from the burning process. Unfortunately the poor things were using a candle instead of a bunsen burner.

It really kills me, I mean here we have politicians telling kids that they have to try their best and work hard at school and then they will see the rewards. But how can you ask kids for their best when we can’t even give them the best resources to educate themselves.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “A Sad Experiment

  1. Give me a break! What’s happening! I won’t be suprised they’ll be using old papers to do their experiments.

    Good Lord. I mean is ‘everything’ going to be neglected. We see roads deteriorating and health facilities in dire need, to name a few. And now we can’t even afford a Bunsen Burner for a session on TV?

    I urge all countryman to ensure that we keep out the ‘money-sucking humans’ out in 2012. Sad though there are also present in the Publi Sector. It has to stop somewhere!!!!!wokim samting stret inap lo toktok

  2. ‘wokim samting stret inap lo toktok!’ – Joshua Gen

    Em nau wantok! Tasol wanem samting tru bai em inap stretim displa bagarap a!

    Societies and civilizations throughout history have pondered this question continuously.

    But what is the answer?

    There seems to be a point when enough people are so fed up that they make a change in their government. That point is unfortunately variable and cannot be measured on a common benchmark. There is however an inevitability factor that does remain constant. The longer it takes to fix the problem, the worse the upheaval and the chances of a revolution where everyone loses.

    So the sooner the problem is rectified, the better the chances of a more gentle correction back onto the right direction. The further the situation is allowed to wander, the more dramatic the correction needed. If the PMV of state is allowed to wander off too far into the bush it will take a dramatic turn of the steering wheel and a lot of unnecessary bumps to get the vehicle back on track.

    There seems to be an axiomatic equation that around 5% of any population will usually volunteer to help others and the other 95% sit around saying things like “I’m bored!” or “why doesn’t someone do something about it?” or just simply offering gratuitous suggestions without actually doing anything themselves. Look at how difficult Service Clubs have in getting and retaining Committee position holders and members?

    If it were easy, why everyone would be doing it.

    PNG has recently shown that ‘people power’ can be a latent force that sits just below the surface and occasionally emerges to make a point. Public demonstrations against the Mandalina Amendment were an example. But demonstrations require leadership to be effective else they become out of control riots and worse.

    PNG now has an educated, experienced and relatively wealthy group of people who could and should get together and fix what everyone knows is the problem. This solution has to be accomplished before the situation gets so far off the track that it takes a dramatic alternative to try to make a change. When people have nothing to lose, they tend to take drastic action. Look at what has recently happened elsewhere in the world. That can happen in PNG if something is not done soon.

    A classic example of the malaise in PNG today is the difficulty Emmanuel is having in finding sponsors and support for his ‘Tanim Graun’ program. The same people who have so far either ignored his efforts or ‘sat on the fence’ will be those who stand to lose the most if a revolution happens.

    ‘There are none so blind as those who won’t see!”

    Longpla taim bipo displa lapun ibin tok olsem: “Inogat narapla rot long girap. Hatwok tasol em inap!”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s