This year’s Papua New Guinea Human Rights Film Festival is the 2nd edition of the festival which started in 2010 and is organized by the PNG Human Rights Film Festival Committee who are all volunteers.
The Film festival promotes greater respect, protection and fulfillment of human rights for all and creates a forum for debate to empower the audience with the understanding that personal commitment can make a difference to end discrimination. The festival brings to life human rights stories. It challenges each individual to empathize with the most vulnerable and discriminated against in our societies, especially victims of human rights violations and supports justice for all people.
Films screened present different human rights themes and are followed by panel discussions with the audience. It is an opportunity to look at the current situation in Papua New Guinea and what can be done to further implement human rights in those key areas.
This year will see a hectic schedule for the festival, so besides the message of Human Rights, if you love film as well the whole 5 days (7th Dec to 11th Dec) will be packed with movies and activities. Download the Program here.
PNG movies on show this week will be:
- 08/12/2011, 14:45 -15:10, Killing the Witches – Papua New Guinea
- 08/12/2011, 18:55 -19:00, Port Moresby: A safer city for women and girls
- 09/12/2011, 18:30 -18:50, The Voice of Change
- 10/12/2011 – 11/12/2011, 10:00 -10:35, Yumi Piksa Stories from the Papua New Guinea Highlands
- 10/12/2011, 12:10 -12:20, Defending Melanesian Land
- 10/12/2011, 12:25 -12:36, Gold’s Costly Dividend
- 10/12/2011, 12:40 -13:25, Bikpela Bagarap (Big Damage)
- 10/12/2011, 14:45 -15:30, Moresby Modern
- 10/12/2011, 15:40 -15:45, Teksi
- 10/12/2011, 18:30 -19:20, Tanim
- 11/12/2011, 10:00 -10:53, One Refugee without hope is too many (Drama Performance)
- 11/12/2011, 14:45 -15:05, One Minute Juniors Papua New Guinea
From Masalai though we have to shamelessly add that we assisted with producing the ‘Moresby Modern’ documentary. Watch the trailer below: